Saturday, March 27, 2010

First post

Hey there all! I've just had the urge to create a blog lately, so I thought I would follow through with it and make one. If I manage to keep up with this, then it will probably mostly be about things that I find neat or interesting in my life, be it a fantastic new hole-in-the-wall restaurant, neat event, a new technology that impresses me, or just a cool website.

I thought I would spearhead this by including a few things in my first posting.

1.The Aptera Car
Now, as a young male, I find cars to be interesting, and I find technology pretty cool too. This combines both! Simple, elegant, and battery powered, this car is pretty awesome. Have a link!

2.Pandora: Internet Radio at it's finest
Now, you've probably already heard of Pandora, but I love it and think it worthy of a mention. For those of you who haven't heard of it and haven't caught on yet, Pandora has nothing to do with a silly box rumored to be filled with all sorts of evil mumbo-jumbo. Pandora is a website that allows you to create as many online radio stations as you like, customized to your heart's content! If that alone doesn't sound interesting enough, let me run you through the process.

First, you create an account. Pretty simple stuff. Once you get through the process of creating an account, you create a station, based off of a genre, band, or song you really want to listen to. Then, Pandora finds other songs you might like based off of characteristics of the genre/band/song that you chose, using the Music Genome Project to it's full potential. Then all you have to do is listen! Do you really like the song it's playing? Click the thumbs up button! Don't ever want the song played again on that station? Click the thumbs down button, and you won't have to hear it anymore. Is there a song you like that's getting played a little too much for your enjoyment? No problem! You can enter the menu for that particular song and click the button that says "I'm tired of this song", and Pandora won't play it for you again for a month.
It's pretty excellent, and your first 40 hours each month are free.

Last, but not least: Casper's
I live in downtown Springfield, MO, and have just discovered something to make my tastebuds happy and my wallet less empty. Casper's! Casper's is a little hole-in-the-wall type of place here in downtown Springfield that you probably wouldn't notice if you drove by it, even if you were looking for it, unless you had already been there. Not much of a tourist attraction because of this, but that's okay. It's only open from Labor Day to Memorial day, and there's often a pretty long wait to get into the tiny restaurant during the lunch rush. Evidently this strategy has been working for them, because Casper's has been serving their delicious (that's an understatement) chili oriented meals for just over a century! Check it out!

1 comment: